Monday, January 5, 2009

New Years in Ecuador

Happy New Year






Before






Heather, Me, Lindsey, Nikki, and Hollie








Here is our doll on fire

















In the alley way
Hollie, Lindsey, and I

My New Years in Ecuador was definately an adventure. We all went out to dinner I had to wait for a half hour after everyone else got their food they forgot about my order I was starving I didnt eat until 10 pm in the United States if this happened they would have comped my meal but they thought it was crazy that we thought they would do that so I had to pay for my meal pretty sucky! Restuarant here are so different they take so long for everything they aren't in a rush at all. Like for instance you have to ask for the check and they dont bring it out to you for another 10 mins sometimes you have to ask for it a few times. As I have a curfew it is 930 pm so when I go out I have to make sure I am home by then sometimes it really sucks because it isn't our fault if it takes forever! So we went to dinner, visited Angel's parents (Angel is the project director) when we went to visit Angel's parents he took us to the ghetto it was pretty scary we stayed in the car and locked the doors we were pretty freaked out because there was a drunk guy that was walking right by out car and ran into us all of us screamed. After the drunk guy left one of the girls wanted to take a picture there was this really cool alley way and it was way foggy so she thought it would be a good picture anyways she opened the door and the alarm went off. Angel was inside of the house and didnt hear the alarm go off so we just sat there having people stare at us like "what are you white girls doing." Angel finally came out and was like. "How long has that been on I didnt even hear it." We left his parents and burned our doll I went to bed right after this because it had been a long day I worked and knew I had to be up at 615 so that was my New Years in Ecuador. In Ecuador they burn dolls you dress a doll like you stuff it and you put your clothes on it. They do this as a way to say goodbye to the previous year. They also believe that if you write a list of bad habits and burn it with your doll your bad habits will go away. The guys here dress up as girls and all black and as girls they do this because they are mourning the previous year they dont want it to move to the next year. Here are the videos of us burning the doll.











No comments: